2.23.2015

A cold, cold town...



I never before understood how you could wear mitts inside the house... but that was before I got to know New York winters! I'm often home during the day, and our landlady doesn't want to let the heat on all day. So I broke out some (not handknit) mitts I stole from my grandmother last year, and I am now twice as motivated to get cracking on the next pattern I want to design ... Mexican inspired colorwork mitts! 



Yarn: Koigu Premium Merino

I finally found exactly the colors I was looking for, now they're just waiting for me to finish knitting and writing Skyline for the Yarn Company. I already frogged a half knit version because I didn't like the border, but I think this one is the right one. I actually like the trial and error approach, even if it's more time consuming. It helps me really figure out what informations I should give the knitters to make it as easy as possible for them. I'm excited to see the end result, and soooo in love with the Taxi and Bad girl colorways together!!! 


Last week I entered a giveaway on Hunter Hammersen's Violently Domestic blog for Kate Atherley new book, Pattern Writing for Knit Designers, and I WON! The timing couldn't have been better, and this book is proving to be an invaluable resource for the budding designer I am. Kate does a great job of organizing all the knowledge she gathered over her years as a knitting teacher and designer and presenting it in a very concise and appealing way. You can purchase the book on her website HERE.


Fiber: Three Waters Farm Merino Silk in Sunny Window / AllSpunUp Merino

Since my wheel is in France, I have been buying very little fiber for two years. But once in a blue moon, when I need cheering up, my eye will get caught by pretty colors and I will indulge in a couple of braids. Three Waters Farm is one of my favorites, I just want all of their colorways!!! 


In this cold, cold winter, I'm so grateful for the solace that I find in warm tea, bright colors and soft fibers. Holding on to those little things are getting me through each day at this time of change and relentless self questionment. Without me realizing it, knitting has become the only thing that's constant in my life, that always connects me to myself no matter what the outside circumstances are. And I am grateful for that, more than ever.

Ps: And look at what I got for myself as a encouragement on this new path I'm taking! So in love with Moo cards, they are the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment