5.11.2015

Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!


So, my good resolution of sticking with one WIP only lasted so long... To my defense, I absolutely hate knitting scarves, and who wants to work with mohair when it's 30°C outside? :) I'm afraid this scarf is going to hibernate a couple more years... In the meantime, I have started on a new design project I've been meaning to tackle for a while. My first traditional triangle shawl!



I'm working with the three madelinetosh colorways I talked about in the previous post, and I discovered something really interesting while looking for a name for the shawl. I really felt very strongly about using those three colors together, and when I researched the symbolism for red, blue and yellow I found this page about the Korean Sam Taegeuk and its meaning: 


The Korean-style Sam-Taegeuk
[three-part Grand Ultimate] Symbol,
used in Korean Shamanism, Neo-Confucianism, Daoism and Buddhism

Blue = Heaven    Red = Earth    Yellow = Humanity
Heaven influences Earth, which influences Humanity, which influences Heaven...

I thought it was fascinating, since those last few months I've been in this quest to understand how I could live connected to both Heaven and Earth and be a meeting point for the two energies. I've always been very sensitive to color and a great believer in color's power over our moods and energy, as well as our desire for different colors depending on how we're feeling, but this was an especially specific example! 




The shawl is slow going since I'm not used to all this math, and I'm also knitting it first in a $4 acrylic yarn to make sure I like the result. The madelinetosh gets damaged by repeated frogging :) But so far I'm happy! :) 
Also, Spring (or should I say Summer?) is here, yay



No comments:

Post a Comment